Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Cost of Healthy Living

As I began trying to live a healthier lifestyle I had a lot of people tell me that I would have to spend more money to do so. Now that I have been doing it for a couple of months I'm convinced that the opposite is actually true.

Sure, buying fresh, whole foods costs more than buying highly processed foods, but the savings from not buying all of the extra crap (junk food) that I used to buy more than makes up for that. And the savings from not eating out several times a week is huge.

And the cost of only drinking water, whether at home or dining out makes a big difference as well. The savings from drinking water alone more than pays for a monthly gym membership.

Obviously the long term benefits of reduced health care costs are impossible to calculate, but I don't think many people would argue that there is not a monetary advantage to living at a healthier weight.

I also look forward to being able to buy life insurance at a reduced rate. I have some term life insurance through my employer, but I need more than that and have been putting it off for a long time because I knew at my old weight and blood work number that the cost would be outrageous.

Has anyone found that they are spending a lot more money now that they are living a healthier lifestyle?


No comments:

Post a Comment